N the Red
Tiger Topics N the Red is the official newspaper of Fishers High School. The printed edition is distributed free to 2,400 students and school personnel. The sixteen student staff members receive elective credit for this full year class. N the Red began in 2006 when Fishers High School was founded.
“The inaugural staff created the name after surveying students for ideas. Although the first year the school did not have a senior class, students were energized and enthusiastically united, especially evident on Fridays with the sea of red in the hallways and classrooms. The inaugural staff wanted something contemporary to go with their vision for the newsmagazine to be vibrant and cutting edge with personal storylines, a publication students would be excited to read on distribution day,” founding adviser Janet McKinney said.
N the Red is a limited public forum designed, written, typeset and edited by students. Opinions expressed in the newspaper do not necessarily represent those of the adviser, administration or the entire staff. Letters to the editor may be submitted to A218 and must be signed and include the writer’s phone number for verification. Letters to the editor will not be published anonymously.
It is the mission of Tiger Topics NtheRed Newsmagazine to provide students, faculty, and the school community with an informative but also entertaining publication both in print and online formats. Our goal is for the print and online publications to work together to push our readers to interact with our publication through a public forum in which readers can share their ideas and opinions with the publication staff.
2012-2013 Awards Received
- National Scholastic Press Association First Class Award
- Quill and Scroll International First Class Award
- Indiana High School Press Association (IHSPA) Harvey Award Honorable Mention for Page Design – Noah Donica
- IHSPA Third Place Harvey Award for Maestro Package
- IHSPA Hoosier Star Finalist for Volume 6 (2010-2011)
- Women’s Press Club of Indiana (WPCI) First Place for Feature Photo – JillyBurns
- WPCI Second Place for Sports Story – Leah Wolff
- WPCI Third Place for News Story – Chloe Sell
- WPCI Third Place for Double Truck Layout (Super Bowl N’dianapolis)
- WPCI Second Place for Environmental Story – Chloe Sell
- Ball State J-Day Honorable Mention for Sports Story – Leah Wolff
- Ball State J-Day Honorable Mention for Feature Photo – Jilly Burns
- Ball State J-Day Excellence Award for Sports Photo (2) – Hunter Hawkins
Tiger Topics N the Red is a publication of the student journalists at Fishers High School. To contact a specific writer, please see their address in the staff listing.
Like us on our Facebook page
For all other questions, contact Mrs. Kristine Brown, adviser